04-20-10 Tuesday Introducing "Hard" and "Harder"

Beginning today, you will see two Metcon WOD options posted. Simply "Hard" and "Harder". I think it's self explanatory! This IS CrossFit40 and I don't want to lose sight of my initial mission to make CrossFit approachable and available to anyone at any age. I am 46 and some parts of me are becoming a little more dry and brittle. I'm not as springy and bouncy as was at 18 or even 35!

As we age, ligaments and tendons are more prone to injury. The water content in our joints and connective tissues (ligaments and tendons) decreases with age, the articular cartilage (which lines the joints) gets brittle and shrinks. It is important to respect the physical limitations of our body as we age to prevent injury.

As I have said many times, never compromise form for time, but we all know even the best form can deteriorate we push ourselves under the clock! With this in mind, the "Hard" WODs will be designed to still stress your aerobic and anaerobic capacity with weight loads reduced to decrease chance of injury.

Another new addition to the WOD posts will be an estimated time of completion. I will do my best to post an 'average' completion time for CrossFit benchmark WODs and an estimated completion time for my programming. I feel having a time goal in mind at the start of the WOD will be more motivating than just 'going at it'.

My body welcomes the "Hard" option, as I feel it will give me a more accomplished feeling not having to write the word "scaled" on the whiteboard behind every WOD I complete. Yes, I too have a little bit of 'ego' hiding in there somewhere!


04-20-10 Tuesday
Strength Training

Choose ONE:

Wendler Week 1
Bench 3 x5
Warmup to your first workset:
Set 1: 5 reps @ 65% base
Set2: 5 reps @ 75% base
Set 3: 5+reps @ 85% base
Base=90% 1RM*
*If you do not know your 1RM bring your green card to Tish to calculate your projected 1RM
-or-
Wendler Week 1
Back Squat 3 x 5
Warm-Up to your first workset:
Set 1: 5 reps @ 65% Base
Set 2: 5 reps @ 75% Base
Set 3: 5+ reps @ 85% Base
Your Base # = 90% 1RM
-or-
Wendler Week 2
Back Squat 3 x 3
Warm-Up to your first workset:
Set 1 3 reps @ 70% Base
Set 2 3 reps @ 80% Base
Set 3 3+reps @ 90% Base
Your Base # = 90% 1RM + #10

Optional Metcon:


WOD
"Harder-Chipper This"
20 Kipping Pull-Up
20 KB/Zercher Squat #54/45
20 KB Swing #54/#35
400m run
for time
Estimated Time Goal: Sub 12 minutes

-or-

"Hard-Chipper This"
20 Kipping Pull-Up Banded
20 KB/Zercher Squat #25
20 KB Swing #25
400m run
for time
Estimated time: Sub 12 minutes






No comments: