Addiction, Coping and CrossFit

Addiction Coping and CrossFit

I confess. CrossFit is my Prozac! (…and xanax…and beer…and wine…and cheese cake.) I am Type A personality. If you really know me, I don’t need to tell you I am definitely Type A. Type A individuals can be described as impatient (move please!), excessively time-conscious, insecure about their status (how’s my lipstick?), highly competitive (oh really!), over-ambitious, business-like, hostile (who the heck gave HER a license to drive?), aggressive, incapable of relaxation in taking the smallest issues too seriously (who left the banana peel in the garbage?); and are somewhat disliked for the way that they're always rushing and demanding other people to serve to their standards of satisfaction (I ordered that 10 minutes ago and it’s cold!).

They are often high and over-achieving workaholics (alcoholics, foodaholics, shopaholics) who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about the smallest of delays. Because of these characteristics, Type A individuals are often described as "stress junkies."(wiki) Yes, I am a “stress junkie.” I perform better under stress, so I think. But stress always got the best of me. Many great over-achieving days spiraled into chaos (and one DUI) after a few “celebratory libations.” My coping and de-stressing mechanisms were interfering with my ability to cope and de-stress. Something had to change.

Once I accepted the fact most, if not all, of my behavior was driven by an insufficient level of self-esteem, I began working on ways to change. I began to change the way I looked at myself in the mirror and the way I thought about myself. I became brutally honest with myself and began to verbalize characteristics of my personality out loud to friends and family. Saying things like, “I know I have control issues.” or “I’m feeling a little insecure today.” The more I verbalized, the more I realized that people liked me for “me”, all my little character “flaws” included!

I didn’t want to hide who I “really” was anymore or try to change myself. I wanted to take control of my life, and grow to like myself just the way I was, not change me, but accept myself with all my inherent personality characteristics both good and bad. My first step on this journey was taking the time to spend more alone time with “me”. I needed to get to know myself better and I did that through exercise.

My exercise journey eventually led me to CrossFit. What a perfect fit for Type As! Look at all the elements of the workout just begging to be controlled. The weight (highly competitive me), time (excessively time conscious me), rounds (over ambitious me). Not to mention trying to catch up with that skinny little cardio junkie blowing out WODs in three minutes or less (insecure about my status me)!

CrossFit allows me to outwardly express all of the elements associated with my personality in a competitive, healthy and safe environment. When I am impatient, I work faster. Aggressive, I add a little more weight. Competitive, I do one more round than the girl next to me and because I’m insecure I make sure she is at least 10 years younger! When the WOD is over lots of serotonin and dopamine fill my brain naturally rather than grabbing a beer or hunk of cheesecake, which is always a temporary fix and always leaves me back where I started.

I am not an addictions counselor and would never suggest someone give up a program or treatment that is working for them. I can only share what has worked and is still working for me. Not every day is perfect. I still have stressful insecure days. But now, I have an alternate way to cope. CrossFit is my drug-free coping mechanism. CrossFit is my de-stressor. CrossFit feeds every element of my personality. CrossFit was designed for Type A personality types! CrossFit was designed just for me.

Peace and wellness on your journey,

Tish

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this Tish! Thanks for sharing! ~ Karen

You?? Type A? I would have never guessed when you're yelling at us to break 90 on the push-ups...LOL! I certainly don't want to do P**** push-ups!! It's all good....I'm Type A also:-D ~Deb

You're awesome, Tish! Thanks for sharing! ~Karen L

I don't know anybody that fits that description, Oh crap is that a mirror, get it out of my face. move the mirror move it. ahhh, no i don't no anybody that fits that description. what was that about a banana peel? ~Milisa

Thanks Tish, I unlike you am not Type A but sometimes I know I have to push myself harder. Not being very competetive I still enjoy CrossFit and I always feel great when I walk out that door after a WOD. Thanks for the inspiration and keep looking for me to come back for more : ) ~Maureen