03-29-10 Monday WOD "Kelly" Run 400 meters 30 box jump, 24 inch box 30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball




Falling into a "Fitness Funk".

It happens to all of us with our fitness program from time to time. Personally, I think there is a good reason we cycle through " fitness funks". Perhaps it's our mind's way of subliminally slowing the body down. In essence, it's our body's way of saying, "Hey, I need a break!" How long should a fitness funk last? In my opinion, now longer than a week.

Here are some steps on how I personally get out of a fitness funk. Once I have acknowledged that I am indeed in a funk, I allow myself two or three days of zombie-like behavior; watching television, sleeping longer hours, eating junkie funk enabling foods and a moment or two of self-loathing and pity. Notice I said ONE or TWO days, not weeks! That's forty-eight to seventy-two hours. After that, it's time to clean house.

How do I get out of a Fitness Funk?

Step One: I immediately STOP what I'm doing to perpetuate the funk. I stop whining to everyone about my funk. I turn off the television, log off Facebook, stop texting, put down the chips, donuts and pizza and I take my dog to the dogs park.

Step Two: I pick ONE or TWO projects, not ten, that have been nagging me and I complete them. Something simple like a cleaning out a kitchen drawer, writing a letter, making a dreaded phone call or organizing the shoe rack in the garage. Not world changing projects, but the little projects that float around in the back of my brain like a parasite for months.

Step Three: I get rid of clutter. I sort through piles of papers, coupons, old underwear, old clothes and get rid of 'stuff'. Clutter clogs the "Chi". Yeah, Chi...energy flow. So, I get rid of clutter. I pick one area of my house to start with. It's usually the most visible, like the computer desk in my kitchen.

Step Four: I get outside. I love to container garden. Nothing cures a funk faster than getting my hands in some good black dirt! I container garden because it's not overwhelming. I pick one container per gardening day. One at a time. It takes less than fifteen minutes to plant a container garden and they are much easier to maintain than flower beds.

Step Five: I avoid eating out and all alcohol. Yup, I don' drink when I'm in a funk. Alcohol is a funk inducing depressant. I also cook more. My funks usually involve junkie eating. So, once I recognize I'm in a funk, I immediately STOP eating out. I go produce shopping. I find a new recipe or two and I spend some time in my kitchen cooking up something healthy.

Step Six: Research and learn a new exercise. When I'm in a funk, I look for something new to learn. I scour the internet for interesting and fun exercises and I try them. Sometimes this generates a hilariously comedic situation and induces hours of laughter, and laughter is a great funk buster!

Step Seven: I read Self-Help books. Yes....I know it's cliche! But I LOVE self-help books; even bad self-help books because bad self-help books make me laugh. As of late I am reading "The 4:8 Principle" by Tommy Newberry. So far, I like it very much. I have a library of self-help books available to lend.


03-29-10 Monday

WOD

"Kelly"
  • Run 400 meters
  • 30 box jump, 24 inch box
  • 30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
for time


















No comments: